Troebia's Diary

Feel free to comment on other people's diary entries, but start a new thread click "post a new topic" to write about your own life. Title the thread the name of your username. Like "XXXXX's Diary"
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Troebia's Diary

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Troebia,

Comments and questions, if I may? -
I have a drawing club challenge sitting on the screen in front of me but I feel blank. This is the reason I don't progress, an artist should just get their sh*t together and get crackin' like good old Vincent.
So there’s writer’s block that we’ve all heard about. What things can a painter do to get over the same? And what are the steps you take when you’re inspired and motivated? Is there any sequence to it? How to jump start? Or maybe just walk away for a while and not try to force it?
And if I open the windows too much right now, I can't even hear myself think for all the cicadas.
I love cicadas! Better than my sonic ambience I often have foisted upon me - the mediocre drummer in the basement of the house next door, and the neighbor on the other side who’s addicted to playing top-40 radio in his garage..
Here's a sketch from last year, in the North of Spain.

I like that too! With a few suggestive strokes you can really capture the essence of something. Looking forward to more! :clap:
troebia
Issues: anxiety, nightmares, depression
preferred pronoun: he

Post by troebia »

snoringdog wrote: July 31st, 2023, 8:18 pm So there’s writer’s block that we’ve all heard about. What things can a painter do to get over the same? And what are the steps you take when you’re inspired and motivated? Is there any sequence to it? How to jump start? Or maybe just walk away for a while and not try to force it?
Hi snoringdog and thank you.

More and more, I'm coming to believe that inspiration can often be summoned through brute force, soldiering through a few rough sketches even if one isn't "feeling it". I'll switch between different papers, brushes, colors, pencils, inks searching for a spark. Suddenly things can loosen up and resolve themselves...or not.

A "blockage" can happen either on-site, going to a village and walking round and round not getting inspired by anything, or in the studio with some sort of assignment glaring at you on the screen. Commissions are the worst because someone has pointed a finger at something and told you, " Paint that!" It's very difficult to create under pressure. Velázquez for example, who was a court painter for much of his career, should be admired for performance under stress as well as for his masterly brushstrokes.

And other times everything just flows and you don't have to think at all, there are no steps or method to it. Those are the best moments because magic will happen, and there will be a few square centimetres of a painting that vibrate with "something".
troebia

Post by troebia »

Just had to share this one LOL
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CujMaSpLXAZ
(activate sound if you've muted Instagram)
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Oh this is brilliant!!! Must get it.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Agree! :lol:
oak

Post by oak »

Troebia, hello.

I am too tired/sad to offer any coherent thoughts, but I do want to say hello, wish you a happy weekend, and encourage you to post an update or two here in the next few days, if you feel so inspired.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
troebia

Post by troebia »

Hello, I wasn't going to write anything today but I saw Oak's posts about his work situation. Oak, if nothing else than your job ties you to where you live, I'd say it would be a good idea to make a radical change. You're probably qualified enough to get a decent job in another city without too much looking? There are many rankings online: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/28/happiest-cities-in-the-us.html. Seeing Burlington, Vermont on the list made me think of the excellent podcast https://www.rumblestripvermont.com/. It seems like a very peaceful area with a lot of community activity.

Latest gardening thoughts: I'm going to simplify things and get rid of the last few thirsty orange trees that already were on the property (after this harvest), and plant more olive and almond trees. I also plan to do some very aggressive pruning of other trees this winter, or get rid of some altogether in order to reduce water consumption and upkeep work to about half.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi completely agree with this suggestion. Use your skills elsewhere if possible Oak. Make a plan, forge ahead. If possible of course. But this job is sucking your soul dry.
troebia

Venting today: anger and confusion

Post by troebia »

First of all, let me just express how good it feels to spill out thoughts and emotions here ;)

Angry, because events seem to conspire so that I'm continually doing work that is undone by circumstances.

Confused, because I wished for a simpler life and I don't know why I'm here on a plot of land trying to grow stuff that fails. Almost everything I do seems to involve water: either it's blocked, leaking or too much...

Thank you now I feel a bit better already :mrgreen:
oak

Re: Venting today: anger and confusion

Post by oak »

troebia wrote: August 5th, 2023, 2:33 am Angry, because events seem to conspire so that I'm continually doing work that is undone by circumstances.
Word.

Thank you for sharing, Troebia.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Dear Diary”