elephant shit

Feel free to comment on other people's diary entries, but start a new thread click "post a new topic" to write about your own life. Title the thread the name of your username. Like "XXXXX's Diary"
E is for Elephant
Issues: anxiety, depression
preferred pronoun: she

elephant shit

Post by E is for Elephant »

Another round of collapsing in the shower in random tears makes me think that it's time to start working through some shit by writing it down.

Why do I think that's self-indulgent? I don't think it's self-indulgent when anyone else does it. But I've been staring at the computer screen for 20 minutes now, trying to convince myself that nobody is going to judge me for using a forum in the way it was meant to be used.

I've typed and deleted a bunch of other stuff in here, but it's all overwhelming and this is going to have to be the first step. Hoping that there will be other steps later.
E is for Elephant

Re: elephant shit

Today's obsessive bad thoughts: thinking about my parents dying. Not sure what brought this one on. There are both 66. Not super-old, but Mom's family has a history of cancer. This is the thing that scares me more than anything else. Instant tears when I think about it. Typing this, my throat is closing up.

Why do I intentionally(?) think of scenarios that make me feel horrible?
hobojungle
Issues: Depression. Anxiety. Agoraphobia. Possible ASD.
preferred pronoun: Lady

Post by hobojungle »

Hello E is for Elephant,

My counselor has described it to me thusly: when you often have horrible thoughts, the repetition of negative thoughts creates a sort of freeway in your mind. The mental "movie" needs to be stopped & consciously replaced with a more positive scenario. Since the positive thoughts aren't as frequent, they are more like an overgrown trail in your mind. But the more you "switch tapes", the more the positive thoughts are likely to become a freeway & the horrible thoughts an overgrown trail. If I may mix metaphors. This is something I need to remind myself of as well. Neuroplasticity--your brain can be molded, indeed your brain is molded, it's just a matter of consciousness, perseverance, & ???. Not really sure how brain chemistry plays into all this though. That some of us have extra chemical barriers to overcome (if they can be, that is). As you can see, I find your posts raise interesting questions. Keep it up.

Love,
hobojungle
I am acceptable; you are acceptable.
E is for Elephant

Thanks, hobojungle, that's really interesting. I'm definitely going to look into that concept further. It does ring true. Sometimes it's like my brain isn't just focusing on negative thoughts, but actually actively seeking them out. And it can quickly spiral out of control.
hobojungle
Issues: Depression. Anxiety. Agoraphobia. Possible ASD.
preferred pronoun: Lady

Post by hobojungle »

Yes! Like your brain feels bad & doesn't know why, so it actively searches for the reason & perpetuates the bad feeling from what other negativity it can find. We need to retrain our brains, but it takes effort & tenacity.
I am acceptable; you are acceptable.
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

E,

I appreciate what you're sharing here.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
E is for Elephant

I think my best friend is emotionally manipulative.

That's a lie.

I know my best friend is emotionally manipulative.

If I were giving another person advice I would say "This is a toxic relationship. You need to get out of it." But instead, I continue to make excuses for her. The truth is, I'm closer to her then I am anyone else in the world. I don't have a lot of friends, and certainly not many close ones. So even though she fucks with my head and guilt trips me and purposefully hurts me, the thought of losing her is terrifying.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

E,
You need to take care of yourself. If this relationship is toxic and you know it, maybe you need to distance yourself from her.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
E is for Elephant

You aren't wrong, brownblob, but there is a vast gap between what I know I need to do for my mental health and what I end up actually doing.
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

E,

I really appreciate you sharing this. And I agree it is terrifying. You're not alone.
Last edited by Beany Boo on June 27th, 2016, 4:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi

Return to “Dear Diary”