Girlfriend in denial?

Discarded_android
Issues: Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, OCD
preferred pronoun: He

Girlfriend in denial?

Post by Discarded_android »

Okay, so I guess I should write a bit of background first (I apologise in advance for any grammatical errors, English is not my first language and I am on my third cup of coffee)

I just got of the phone with my girlfriend, we live together and have been in a relationship for over 4 years. We have had a good relationship so far with some ups and some downs, a lot of the downs I feel is because of my mental health, I suffer from depression and have not been on any meds for most of the time, I was on medication when we first started dating and then stopped after about a year. I recently started again, about 3 months ago because the depression got worse/returned. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks as well and they have been a recurring theme in my life for the last 2 years. I am now seeing a therapist and things are slowly getting better.

I am suspecting that my gf is suffering from some sort of mild depression or anger issues and when I brought this up on the phone just now she was in complete denial. She has a very stressful job which gives her anxiety, she has a problem letting it go, it's constantly on her mind, she is very tired, sleeps alot and gets very angry at little things. When she got angry with me before I used to apologise and try to make things better, I developed a feeling of walking around on eggshells, feeling my anxiety levels rise when she was about to come home from work because I didn't know if she would be happy or angry, when she's happy everything is fine but when she's angry she starts to point complain about things that's wrong with the apartment, "This is dirty, that needs cleaning, why haven't you fixed this,etc". I try to meet her half way and do my best to take responsibility of the household but it feels like if I mess something up she just have to point it out and get angry with me which makes me feel like shit.

When we argue she always bring up things I've done wrong in the past (of which there are alot) times I got to drunk, times I ran out of money etc. But those things are in the past, I have cleaned up my act alot, I am studying at university and I am only 1 year away from finishing my degree which will hopefully lead to me landing my dream job but she keeps reminding me of bad things that I've done before which makes me feel like shit.

As I said she has a stressful job and I understand that, I try to be there for her and make life easier for her, she also has an older sister who is an addict and it's uncertain whether or not she's clean. My girlfriend worries alot about that as well and it understandably makes her sad.

When I talked to my gf today I told her that she can learn to control her anger the same way I am learning to control my anxiety and that she can learn how not to react in such a negative way to her stressful job. She got very defensive and told me that she couldn't control it, that I always try to explain things and comment on how she acts and that she can't help her bad mood. I told her that maybe if she learnd to handle the internal stuff all of the external chaos wouldn't be as bothersome, she replied with "if everything else was fine I would be able to handle my job". I asked her what she meant by "with everything else" and she had no answer. After that we said goodbye and hung up.

Is my gf in denial of some sort of depression or anger issue? Am I projecting my own issues on her? Am I wrong for telling her how her mood makes me feel? Am I over sensitive? Is anyone having a similar experience?

Return to “Relationship Troubles”