different effects of drugs on different people

To start a discussion, post a new topic.
richardh
Issues: depression bipolar anxiety etc

different effects of drugs on different people

Post by richardh »

Ive always said Im wired backwards. Depressants like alcohol make me hyper while stimulants shut me down. My wife took Phentermine, a stimulant, years ago and I tried one. It made my brain eerily quiet. It literally sounded like a sea shell in there. Just an hollowness, only 1 thought at a time and that was only if I wanted it to be there. It was actually very nice but spooky.

On a possibly related note, my Brother, who had a similar life experience than me, worse in fact, has struggled with drugs all his life, and I know that the term self medicating is thrown around a lot, but he told me that for a number of years as a youth he would trade his pot for his buddy's ADD meds, which back then were amphetimines. My bro told me that was the most contented time in his life. Unfortunatley for him, he never really had a job that had benefits, no medical coverage etc. And he still uses amphetamines, such as he can get them, impure, nasty and far from the medical quiality he had in his youth. He has told me that he's seen a dichotomy among users....He's seem amphetamine destroy some people in 6 months, and others, himself included, have gone years and years ok. I think that speaks to the fact that maybe he has a legit need for them, like ADD or whatever, he's just never had the means to be diagnosed. I think if he could get some adderall maybe he could lay off the illicit crap. Just another shame about the medical system.

The Phentermine my wife was on for weight loss made her flake the heck out, she was hallucinating and had panic attacks etc...I imagine she would be the type that would be ruined my meth or something.

I dont know why I mention all this, but I just find brain chemistry fascinating and I wonder if any one else has noticed how drugs can affect people differently.

Return to “Addictive Substances”