Mood changes/swings with unipolar depression?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Mood changes/swings with unipolar depression?

Post by rivergirl »

Does anyone else experience pretty big mood swings with unipolar depression?

I've been told I have unipolar depression and anxiety, and that it isn't bipolar depression type II because I haven't had a significant period of hypomania (that I can recall).

However, I can be feeling pretty good for up to a couple of weeks (even enjoying things and feeling hopeful) and then have up to a couple of weeks where my mood plummets and I feel scared and hopeless again. Sometimes I have a hard time even remembering what it was like to feel the other way, either good or bad, even when I'm only a day or two out of that mood because there's such a huge difference. Sometimes the mood changes seem to happen more quickly, many times over the course of a day. Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm two different people.

I guess I'm a little scared that I'm getting the wrong diagnosis.
Cami
Issues: Depression, agorafobia, anxiety about everything, etc
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Mood changes/swings with unipolar depression?

Post by Cami »

You know, I've been glancing at Bipolar 2 lately as well, but like you I'm never hyper.

But I get mood swings, sometimes from one minute to the next. And it takes so much energy, to have such mixed feelings (even if my feelings are extremely low key).

I haven't been diagnosed as unipolar specificly, but I don't seem to tick the boxes for bipolar either.

Guess I'm just a sad-sack! Hurrah!
I'm not suicidal, but I am very pro-coma..
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Thanks for the reply, Cami. I've been seeing a psychiatrist for about a month, and I asked him about it on Monday. He said it's not unusual to have these mood changes with unipolar depression. I'm sorry you experience this too!
Cami
Issues: Depression, agorafobia, anxiety about everything, etc
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cami »

At least we're not weird then :D
I'm not suicidal, but I am very pro-coma..

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”