Peddling my wares

If you feel like showing your art or an expression of who you are, do it here.
Murphy
Issues: Depression, Social Anxiety, Rumination

Peddling my wares

Post by Murphy »

I've been wanting to sell my crafty creations for a long time, but I hadn't ever gotten past the inertia and finally do it. But a local nonprofit that I volunteer for opened a little artist's shop and I got to be a part of it! Nothing too fancy. Some knitted/crochet projects mostly. But I'm starting to make jewelry out of broken/vintage jewelry pieces and buttons, and that's been really fun. I've always felt like my stuff wasn't good enough despite complements, because all I really do is follow a pattern. But the jewelry has proved a fun challenge, trying to figure out what to do with each piece. I know I sold at least one thing so far, so that's pretty cool. Anyway, here are a few pictures:

Any care that keeps you from your feet is a care that carries your defeat
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Peddling my wares

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Awesome! How wonderful that you can create such nice things.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Walldo
Issues: Depression, anxiety, ADD.
preferred pronoun: he

Post by Walldo »

Neat stuff! I've always really admired the commitment it takes to knit/crochet things, as I have the attention span of a goldfish. All art is pretty much following a pattern. Even Jackson Pollock followed a pattern, he just didn't know it ;)
ladysquid
Issues: social and generalized anxiety, addictive tendencies, depression
preferred pronoun: she/her

Post by ladysquid »

Hey, whether you use patterns or not, your stuff looks cozy and awesome. :animals-bunnywhite: I started crocheting a dog sweater months ago and have yet to pick it up again so don't sell yourself short on feeling accomplished with all these projects!! Also think it's great you're crafting for a cause, this is making me want to get back on my yarn grind.
Murphy
Issues: Depression, Social Anxiety, Rumination

Post by Murphy »

Thanks!

I recently had to decide whether or not to renew my contract selling there. I hadn't heard anything from them for a while, so I had assumed I hadn't sold anything. I decided to renew and consider the space rental fee a donation, and then when I stopped by I saw that I'd sold 3 more necklaces! 4 total, so that makes me feel good. (Hoping the knit stuff will start selling as well now that it's not a million degrees outside.) And it motivated me to make some more this week. I'm always happier when I'm making stuff, but sometimes I get into a funk and I can't get over the hurdle to actually to it.
Any care that keeps you from your feet is a care that carries your defeat
ladysquid
Issues: social and generalized anxiety, addictive tendencies, depression
preferred pronoun: she/her

Post by ladysquid »

That's great to hear! Especially since you said you had just started with the jewelry.

I can totally relate about crafting in general. I love making things, last year around the holidays I got super into making custom body scrubs with essential oils and packaged them in decoupaged little jars. It always makes me feel better to be creative especially when it's with someone else in mind but I agree that depression makes it really difficult to get excited about anything. Sometimes just finding the right supplies can get me going in the right direction, maybe take a trip to a thrift store or flea market for some interesting little trinkets? Or even just a trip to the junk drawer works too.

Return to “Express Your Creativity”