Non-PTSD Nightmares?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Dogless Dog Lady
Issues: OCD, BDD, eating disorder (OSFED/orthorexia), depression, panic attacks
preferred pronoun: she/her/hers

Non-PTSD Nightmares?

Post by Dogless Dog Lady »

I'm wondering if other people have similar experiences as me with nightmares. I have not been diagnosed with PTSD, but for many years I've had horrible nightmares, and they've gotten worse in recent years - almost everyday for weeks at a time. Frequent topics include my family/partners/friends killing or raping me, strangers killing/chasing/raping me, being forced to kill my loved ones, being under attack during a mass murder, you get the idea. I occasionally wake up sobbing or thrashing about in bed and have trouble going back to sleep. Trouble is, I don't have any obvious traumas (that I can remember) and I don't know why I dream these things. I do have OCD, panic attacks, and depression. Wondering if anybody else has dealt with disturbing, unexplained nightmares like this? Did you ever figure out why it was happening?
kayle
Issues: MDD, PTSD, ADHD
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Non-PTSD Nightmares?

Post by kayle »

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and have similar nightmares but never are they the same theme as my actual traumas. Considering your diagnosis, I'd imagine your nightmares stem from anxiety/hyper vigilance? For years I never put the puzzle together, but honestly an explanation won't console me during a nightmare, so does it really matter? The med that has been my only relief from this is Prazosin. It's a blood pressure med that basically disables your body from reacting to the nightmares. It works amazingly.
Dogless Dog Lady
Issues: OCD, BDD, eating disorder (OSFED/orthorexia), depression, panic attacks
preferred pronoun: she/her/hers

Post by Dogless Dog Lady »

I was recently put on Prazosin as well! It works wonders! I still have some unpleasant dreams but they're nowhere near the violent, disturbing nightmares I used to have so often. I hope other docs and patients out there learn more about this incredibly effective drug (with no side effects for me and according to my doc, almost all others she's put on the drug). So glad you've also had a great experience!
bagOdix
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anti-social disorder
preferred pronoun: he

Post by bagOdix »

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and am on Prazosin to quell the nightmares as well as Mertazapine to help me stay asleep. Before that, nearly a decade, I had no help and I was sleeping about an hour a night on a good night. I still have nightmares, but they are now less vivid and stick with me much less than before. I also have anxiety and depression. I take other medications for those though. Enough about me, that's not the point here, I hope you have made some headway with your issues Dogless Dog Lady, or at least at least started on the path to getting them under control. I had been in that world for around 10 years and I know how bad it can get, I hope only the best for you.
When you die, you won't know you're dead. The same thing can be said if you're stupid.

Return to “PTSD”