Best Insurance Companies/Types for Mental Health Care

To open a discussion, post as new topic.
cyanidebreathmint

Best Insurance Companies/Types for Mental Health Care

Post by cyanidebreathmint »

This may be an overly specific/ overly optimistic question to ask a bunch of people from all over the place. I just got a new job. It's the first job I've ever had where I get health insurance coverage. I have no idea how to choose. I previously was on my parent's plans. It was HMO coverage, and when I wanted mental health care I was told I could only see people employed by the HMO, at their designated offices, and the only designated office within reach was a 40 minute drive from my house. Even though I preferred the fetal position to going anywhere, I got myself up and out and went. But the care was horrible, and the person wasn't even a psychologist or therapist, but a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who was practically my age (I am young, and apparently ageist). She was dismissive, and made painful assumptions. Also, there were classes available, which I took, which were reiterations of facts I had already encountered on the internet. I gave it a good try. This wasn't the type of care I was interested in. What happened to the ... empathetic talk therapy I've heard so much about?

I understand others may be more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am, having gone through the process of trial and error themselves. Any recommendations? Is this even a sensible question to ask, or should people I ask actually be in my region?

I guess the question works in general, too.

What's better, in your opinion? An HMO, choiceless but easy? Or PPO, freedom but more work and more possible out of pocket costs?

The specifics I have to choose between are Kaiser HMO (which I previously disliked), and different Anthem Blue Cross/ Blue Shield PPO plans, and something called Lumenos.

Hopefully this discussion could be helpful to people besides myself. If not, forget it and I'll be googling (which I am doing anyway).

Thanks ahead of time. :)
next year

Re: Best Insurance Companies/Types for Mental Health Care

Post by next year »

I have always gone with a PPO. My reason for that is that it's very important for me to choose my doctors. When you are having health issues, you want to see the person you feel is best for treating your condition. With a PPO you may have to pay more for someone who's "out of plan" but I've never found that to be prohibitive. At this point, I have been going to some of my doctors for 15 or 20 years. I think it's important to have an ongoing relationship with doctors and dentists. When I got my first real job out of college, my dad told me never ever ever go with an HMO if I had any choice in the matter. (He worked in the pharmaceutical industry.)

I currently have a BCBS PPO plan, and we pay a $25 copay for visits to our psychiatrist or therapists. I'm sure there's a limit on the number of visits, but if we haven't hit it in any given year between me and my husband, then it's not that restrictive.

Another good option for mental health care is an EAP (employee assistance program). My husband found out that some companies provide an hour or two on the phone with a mental health professional for employees or family members. (See my posts about Thanksgiving LOL). They will also help you find a psychiatrist or therapist.

You know the old saying, "you get what you pay for." I am very frugal (1/2 Scottish ;) ) but the two things I don't skimp on are child care and health care. And my hairdresser. OK, that's three things.

Also, if your company offers flex spending, you might want to take advantage of that as well. You estimate how much you will spend on copays and prescriptions in a year and have that amount taken out of your salary in flex spending. The $ gets taken out of your paycheck before taxes, and then you are reimbursed when you spend it on copays, prescriptions and over the counter medicines.
cyanidebreathmint

Thanks nextyear, for the really solid advice! I am going to hopefully settle on my insurance today or tomorrow and you have helped me out greatly. I was leaning toward PPO for the same reasons you mentioned. And if an industry insider says to stay away from HMO's, then there must certainly be something to that.

Thanks again!
dare i say it

Post by dare i say it »

next year wrote:...it's very important for me to choose my doctors. When you are having health issues, you want to see the person you feel is best for treating your condition.
I feel like this is twice as important when looking for a psychiatrist and 10 times as important when looking for a therapist. For what its worth, when it comes to choosing a therapist, I've found that the degree hanging on their wall is much less important than how you feel when you speak to that person, i.e. do you feel safe opening up to this him/her? I'm not plugging anything, but there was an article I found recently that helped me find some good help in my price range.
http://www.metanoia.org/choose/ I think it's from a non-profit mental health advocacy group, doesn't seem to have any bias, and I'm glad I found it so I thought I would pass it on.

Good luck to you,
Dan
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
cyanidebreathmint

I think I may tend to have a problem with all therapists because I have a tendency to live like some kind of actor and play the role I think is expected of me from people, kind of for people. I dunno, I think the forced intimacy of it kind of implodes inward and becomes this artificial thing. But what do I know, I only went a couple of times to therapy in my life. I think I'll read more through your link when I'm trying to choose. It sucks that you can waste so much money and time just trying to get a feel for someone.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

cyanidebreathmint wrote:It sucks that you can waste so much money and time just trying to get a feel for someone.
Yeah, I have similar feelings about treatment, and a lot of anxiety around not being on the same wavelength as the therapist.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
dare i say it

re: problems with therapy

Post by dare i say it »

That's cool. If other people don't find help from the same sources I did, that's totally fine. I myself have run into A LOT of "dead ends" in looking for mental health treatment, i.e. things that weren't nearly as helpful as I had hoped they would be. I had to go back and try some things a second, third, and fourth time. Most of the time I had major doubts that anyone or anything could help me. WOW was it an ordeal! And it's still a work in progress. As painful and disappointing as those times were, I am so, so glad I didn't stop trying to get help. Good luck to you. I wish you the best.

Dan
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

dare i say it / Dan wrote:Most of the time I had major doubts that anyone or anything could help me. WOW was it an ordeal! And it's still a work in progress.
I really got a lot out of self-help books, self-help audio programs, books on cognitive therapy. Also writing in a journal.

All the best, here is a cheer for anyone who needs it :D :lol: !!!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
cyanidebreathmint

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I've read a bunch of self help books too, manuelmoe. I always feel a bit better after reading them. Although sometimes I feel like they leave me in a place without resolution. I feel like my therapist broke up with me. heh.

And darei, thanks for reiterating that things don't always go great the first try. I (and I'm sure people can relate) tend to be a bit of an Eeyore about things and don't expect things to go well and when they don't I use that as affirmation that it was never meant to. "Oh, well" and then back to my stick hut.
dare i say it

Re: Eeyore

Post by dare i say it »

Great Eeyore reference! That just made me smile. :)

Return to “Help, I don't know where to begin to get well!”