Support/advice needed

Discussions on addictions and their relationship to depression. Post as new topic.
Carolina446
Issues: depression
preferred pronoun: she

Support/advice needed

Post by Carolina446 »

I have been drinking every single day since a year now. I spend almost $250 per month on drinks. I started drinking as I lost the love of my life. Last weekend I lost control of it totally. I know I need to help myself but at the same time every day I struggle to do it! I don’t want to say I have a problem, but at the same time I can’t seem to stop. I'm looking for any good and insurance covered alcohol addiction centre in Vancouver. Any suggestions? While browsing I found many rehab sites. But don't know whether they can be trusted. Please share your thoughts.
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Support/advice needed

Post by Imissmysun »

In your state of mind it will be hard to trust any of them - but pick one that your gut likes - trust your intuition - then go - you will be better for it - I for one am proud of you for starting to look for help -

It is terrifying to give yourself over to a healing process however you are capable and you are ready -

I am not from that area so I cannot give you any specifics at all I'm actually on the other side of the continent in New York State - but how cool is it that I can offer support! - neither have I had a substance problem - (mostly because I hate smoke and I am afraid of large groups of people and alcohol only tastes good when it is mixed with other stuff and that is expensive), but I wanted to let you know that you are so awesome for taking this first step.

Thank you for your post
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic
oak

Post by oak »

First up, well done for using your words. You are already a little better.

Were I you, I'd meet with a doctor. Detoxing is a serious medical matter, and can be a matter of life and death.

I say this not to scare/upset you, but to illustrate the gravity of your situation.

My advice is to keep talking to people, until someone listens. Someone out there will help you.

When reaching out to talk to someone, I'd not be too fussy particular about mental health/suicide/alcohol; just start talking to people. You can always call the AA intergroup.

Certainly call your doctor. If your work has an EAP call them (surprise: the people at work know. They know.).

People get sober every day. I'm sober, and I'm not anything special; ergo, if I did it you can do it.

I am not going to advise you to stop drinking right away, but if you survive detox (remember, alcohol is the only drug whose withdrawals can kill a person), never drink again.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

On the off chance this is helpful: http://www.bc211.ca/help-lines/

I don't know much about Canadian healthcare, but in the States I understand the choices are generally between 12 Step rehab centers and non-12 Step rehabs. The biggest factor of success that I've seen, though, is finding a support system that you can transition into as quickly and seamlessly as possible once you leave the treatment center. I've heard it a million times—"Have a plan for leaving detox!" If you keep the big picture in view, you should be able to get better no matter which rehab you wind up in.

You're off to a good start, though. You can't solve a problem if you don't admit there's a problem. :)
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.

Return to “Are you addicted?”