adding another chemical to my soup - LAMICTAL

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
WiltedRose

adding another chemical to my soup - LAMICTAL

Post by WiltedRose »

I think this is one (lamictal) that Paul has actually mentioned being on.
For those that have, what are your experiences (hopefully positive).
I am on so many meds. Some for my gi issues, but A LOT for my head. I've been on Cymbalta forever, and since it's so hard to come off of, my doctor hasn't played with it. But then she added BUSPAR tid (3xday), Klonopin TID, VYVANSE (to help control my bulimia - but I think that is why I needed the anxiolytic buspar and the klonopin...).... And I've taken Trazodone since the days it was brand name Deseryl - at bedtime to help sleep. Recently we tried geodone as a mood stabilizer (im not bipolar but every afternoon like clockwork I escalate into anxiety, sink into more depression, and OCD like behaviors come out more). So we d/c the geodone since I couldn't tolerate it - made me too sedate even a tiny dose at night. SO now we are trying Lamictal. again she said she is hoping it will help as a mood stabilizer. Going very slowly with it. I started out on a baby dose at bed time, 25mg. And am now up to 100mg at bedtime. Eventually we will increase it to twice daily and larger dose.
For anyone who has been on lamictal, was the purpose to be a mood stabilizer of sorts? if so - how do you feel it worked, if at all?
Thanks for reading my psych med history here! :)
WiltedRose

Re: adding another chemical to my soup - LAMICTAL

Post by WiltedRose »

just an update.
My lamictal dose has slowly been increased to 100mg bid (twice daily).
It's so hard to tell for sure if psych meds are causing a subtle change, or if external circumstances in the environment are changing.... but I think the lamictal may be helping. I was put on it as a "mood stabilizer" as I tended to escalate EVERY AFTERNOON.... I'd be somewhat stable in the morning... then come afternoon my anxiety/depression/compulsions would start to build. I'm on Klonopin as well, for the anxiety. (and a slew of other meds). But after being on the Lamictal I think I notice I'm not escalating into those bad feelings as much in the afternoon (or should I say "crashing" in the afternoon?) Either way, I still dread afternoon , evening because I anticipate the painful mood crash... I think though I fear it more than I am actually experiencing it.
Just wanted to mention it in case any one else is curious or starting the med.
I know Paul has mentioned being on it too, on the podcast. I think the last he mentioned it he felt it was possibly helpful too.
:)
AHHH - to have no need for meds would be nice. Or to be able to do a simple blood panel and see exactly what you need, so you could just get on the right meds to help, and not have to go through months of suffering/trial & error with psych meds....
:)
Be well everyone.
"Wilted Rose"
meh
Issues: Bipolar, depression, general all around ick
preferred pronoun: That

Post by meh »

I'm on lamictal - now for a couple of years. I haven't noticed any side affects. My hypomania feels under control. I still slip into some pretty nasty depressions now and then but that's what the wellbutrin is for.
"Of course you have an active inner life, you're bipolar"
my therapist.
WiltedRose

Post by WiltedRose »

Im still on lamictal . 200mg twice daily.
I was having a lot of problems with my mood plummeting every afternoon.... (depression, anxiety, it was like clockwork - starting in early afternoon each day I felt like I was about to have a nervous breakdown, whatever that is~)
I'm doing better with that. Not perfect, but better. And I attribute to the lamictal i guesss. Certainly would be afraid to stop it and have things feel even worse... again.

Return to “Medications”