Lamictal and Wellbutrin anyone???

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
Geek

Lamictal and Wellbutrin anyone???

Post by Geek »

My pdoc reduced my Lamictal from 400mg to 200mg. I was having some serious side effects like nausea, stomach lining issues, the shakes and sweating. These side effects started at 300 mg, but were so gradual that I didn't put 2 & 2 together. Long story short, I had to reduce the dose. I'm bummed because I had improved so much, and to take a step back pissed me off. But, I really do need my stomach lining..kinda hard to live without it.

My pdoc just prescribed me Wellbutrin in addition to the Lamictal because I stay on the depressed side more than the hypomania side. Has anyone been on this combo before?
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Lamictal and Wellbutrin anyone???

Post by Cheldoll »

I actually was put on Lamictal to replace Wellbutrin since it wasn't working well with Effexor. I don't think I had any problems with Wellbutrin, but the withdrawal effects from Effexor are a bitch and I had to get rid of one of them. I hope this new combo works out for you and I'm sorry I can't offer any insight!
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
hearttherapy

Post by hearttherapy »

Lamictal side effects can be serious, but at least your not having the rash, right? If you really think it's helping, the side effects may be gone after 2 weeks or so and maybe there is a way to go up more gradually. I am a therapist but not an psychiatrist, but I think the combination of those two meds are pretty normal and safe. Call you Dr. and good luck figuring this out and find a good fit!
Geek

Update: Lamictal and Wellbutrin anyone???

Post by Geek »

I started on the Wellbutrin, which made me feel high. I felt that this would pass over time, and I thought I could deal with the headaches. My pdoc also added Lithium to the mix (I'm also on Lamictal), which I'd used before. I don't know what it is about this combination, but I've been sick all weekend. I posted in another thread about my wierd reaction with high doses of lamictal...and it wasn't good. I was very sick. Under pdocs orders, I was reduced from 400 mg to 200 mg Lamictal, and the illness went away completely. Adding Lithium and Wellbutrin to the mix brought that same type of illness again. Who knows, maybe these drugs are too harsh for my stomach. Since I just started the additional meds 3 days ago, I'm going back to Lamictal only. The good news is that the depression stays away. It's the mania I have to watch.
ColemanSilk

Post by ColemanSilk »

It's good you're getting some benefit at least. I have been on both, neither did anything positive for me.
Jenny Jump

Post by Jenny Jump »

I had a med makeover and was switched to lamictal, wellbutrin, and triliptal. I ended up being severely allergic to lamictal and had to stop taking it--got a fever and a mean rash covering most of my body! Back to the drawing board.
"I know what I am, I know what you think I am, but I refuse to be that simple." -Nomy Lamm

Return to “Medications”