Coping

Bigfun

Coping

Post by Bigfun »

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot, if not then I'm sorry and feel free to move post to the right thread.
What do you do to cope? Do you take long walks? Listen to a favorite album?
Those used to be my two favorites. Listening to the Pixies as I walked to nowhere.
Unfortunately I'm unable to take long walks anymore do to an injury. So now if I'm feeling really isolated, lonely or sad I play video games. Specifically world of Warcraft. I found this to be a good place holder or at least a stepping stone to more social interactions. I'm not 100% sure if it's the greatest method but my therapist seems to be on board.
Do you have any specific, out side the box coping methods? Any other gamers out there?
Warmly
Bigfun of wrymrest accord
For the horde!
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Coping

Post by manuel_moe_g »

I do 30 seconds of meditation often, as a coping method.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Please take care, all the best.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Bigfun

Post by Bigfun »

Thanks Manuel,
I try to meditate on my lunch breaks or on the weekend but most of the time I feel weird about doing it with my significant other in the house.
Take care
:)
ladysquid
Issues: social and generalized anxiety, addictive tendencies, depression
preferred pronoun: she/her

Post by ladysquid »

Hells yeah to the Pixies! :banana-guitar:

I like taking my dog for a walk, sometimes I will listen to music or a podcast but I find that when I really just try and ground myself in my steps, my breathing and just watching my dog sniff and take in the world it helps me to feel more present. I also have trouble numbing myself out, I'm not a gamer but I tend to binge on TV shows and drink to disassociate.

I'd recommend trying self-massage and stretching if you can't get out and walk. I personally have found yoga to be anxiety producing, my perfectionist was too worried about getting the stretches correct in groups so I prefer to stretch at home. Helps me get in touch with my body. I found this video I use for self neck and shoulder massage, I pop on some lotion and it helps relieve some of the tension from sitting hunched over a computer all day. https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=NWTJI03xPl0

I also have a pinterest board where I try and post self-care things (even if I don't always do them myself :oops: )https://www.pinterest.com/rachelpuff/anxiety-recovery/ <-I found some pretty good coping skill tips on there if you want to take a look.
Glock therapy
Issues: Depression, isolation, procrastination, shame
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Glock therapy »

Hi Ladysquid--I really like the self-massage video and there are clearly plenty more related ones that seem like they'd be helpful too. Don't know why I hadn't thought to look up on youtube, but I hadn't. So, thanks!

gt
donkarp
Issues: Recovered schizophrenic researching psychotherapy dissatisfaction.
preferred pronoun: he

Post by donkarp »

I do a lot of things to cope. Self-hypnosis is my major new one.
I do journaling, meditate, yoga, hiking, play blues harmonica, draw/teach sacred geometry.
Starting a peer support group for goal setting and accountability.

Good luck!
I'm looking for how I might help those dissatisfied with psychotherapy to find self care programs.

Return to “Misc”