Uncovering Happiness: Overcoming Depression with Mindfulness

Suggest books, magazines, websites, website articles; anything in print including graphic novels or comic strips.
LimitedAdventure
Issues: anxiety based depression, toxic shame
preferred pronoun: he

Uncovering Happiness: Overcoming Depression with Mindfulness

Post by LimitedAdventure »

I just got this book tonight, and it is amazing. If you have depression, this is like a manual describing how to operate it, so that it doesn't operate you.

The author's name is Elisha Goldstein. I've just been reading it for the last two hours. It's written in a very accessible, comforting, understanding tone, and it's goal is to help you manage your depression. And, other insights. Like, I close down when I feel emotions. And the book describes why that happens, and what you can do to change.

I'm really surprised at how much information this author has been able to squeeze into the 70 pages that I've read, and I understand all of it. And I never got confused and had to go back. This man is extremely gifted.

It's a new book, as well, I think it's only been out about a month or so.

Uncovering Happiness: Overcoming Depression with Mindfulness and Self-Compassion
Brooke

Re: Uncovering Happiness: Overcoming Depression with Mindful

Post by Brooke »

I checked it out on audible and since it's not released there yet, I'll keep my eyes on it. I love books on mindfulness (like Jon Kabat Zinn) and self-compassion (Kristin Neff) so this book is up my ally. But personally, when I am relatively stable and not social (because I have social anxiety even though I'm lonely), I can practice mindfulness and self-compassion, but when I'm off balance, nothing helps me. I feel like I am drowning and I need close friends to hang on to. And since I don't have a lot of close friends, I just feel like I am drowning sometimes for a whole week. Thanks for the recommendation!
inmymind
Issues: Depression, anxiety, intimate relationships.
preferred pronoun: He

Post by inmymind »

Thanks Limited Edition.

I've made a note of this on my phone so I can check it out.
Glock therapy
Issues: Depression, isolation, procrastination, shame
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Glock therapy »

Hi,
Just thought I'd post another source in this same vein. I really like Mark Williams, a doc from Oxford who articulates things in a manner that really clicks for me. He's an academic and comes off at first as clearly such, but watch for a bit and you'll see he's a very cool guy with a lovely gentle manner and a good sense of humor. Here's a link to a fairly lengthy lecture that incorporates meditation exercises-- you'll see that there are other, much shorter pieces with him to check out if you prefer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAy_3Ssyqqg

-gt

Return to “Literature/Websites”