Episode 12: Jen Kirkman

Post discussions as new topics.
Paul C.

Episode 12: Jen Kirkman

Post by Paul C. »

Paul's instinct to keep politics out of the show is a good one - it slipped in this episode. For the first time I felt a bit alienated by the show, not being a liberal.
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Re: Episode 12: Jen Kirkman

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Paul,
Sorry about that. The most recent episode with Stephen Mancuso might do the same. I'm trying... But thanks for being honest.

Paul
:D
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
ceela

Post by ceela »

I just found this podcast and have been listening to all the shows from the beginning and felt the same way. Politics coming up on occasion is almost unavoidable and not a big deal - but when the conversation goes to how the righties are all ignorant, selfish, and actually dangerous I don't see how that is helpful. I was really enjoying Jen and identifying with her a lot until she let out what she thinks about people like me. I wonder if she or Paul even know any righties or have cared to find out what we actually believe and why - not this caricatured version of us. It's sad and annoying that people who have done so much personal introspection are so closed minded and judgemental about a bunch of people they don't know. If anyone knows any other episodes I should just skip please let me know. I really am getting a lot out of this podcast and I want to keep listening - just not the nasty ones. :(
Harlow

Post by Harlow »

I'm sorry, but you choose to affiliate yourselves with a party that hates the poor (well, more overtly than the Democrats do, anyway...), cuts funding to people like the mentally ill, and discriminates against women, gays, the poor, etc.

I find it a little lame that you whine about feeling discriminated against.

The occasional slips are rare and pretty mild. Frankly, I think you should deal with it.
Harlow

Post by Harlow »

Also, politics and the treatment of the mentally ill (or those struggling with mental health issues) are inextricably linked. Political things are going to come up on occasion.
ceela

Post by ceela »

@ Harlow
I know you're probably in pain - like most everyone else who comes here - but please don't lash out at me. You don't even know me.
Thanks and I hope something good happens for you today! :)
Harlow

Post by Harlow »

I didn't lash out 'cause I'm in pain - I argued because I disagree with your point.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”