Emily Gordon

Post discussions as new topics.
Herself

Emily Gordon

Post by Herself »

Her mention of Chick Publications made me laugh. I also grew up in N.C., and people would leave those things on shelves at the mall! Awful, hateful little comics that threatened you with Hell!
RationalMuse

Re: Emily Gordon

Post by RationalMuse »

I am not even done the entire episode, but I absolutely love listening to how well Emily and Paul talk and relate in this episode. I have heard the guys on the Nerdist podcast gush about how great Emily is and now I know why. I love now effective Twitter has been connecting podcasters and guests that might not have connected.
marathonbar

Post by marathonbar »

I loved this interview. I, too, want her to be my therapist! Paul, maybe you can have her back on and have listeners send in their questions about therapy.
I'm ready to live a life of joy.
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

I love the idea of going "double down" when you start to feel anxious and just allowing yourself to feel all those emotions until you tire yourself out -- it's kinda like when Paul talks about continuing to pull the thread with your fears. The only tough part, I think, is finding a place you feel safe enough to do that. I know I have a terrible habit of bottling things inside and telling myself to just suck it up. I'm really interested in trying this out though.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
CharlotteC
Issues: depression, anxiety, eating disorder, cutting

Post by CharlotteC »

Loved Emily Gordon, so thank you for having her! I was inspired to dig her up on the Nerdist, and really liked the following interview as well. At the end (around the 1:19 min mark) is an interesting discussion of her non-religious/metaphysical views. I love how she articulates a very compassionate and thoughtful understanding of "God" as the collective good in people, the danger of indifference, and the problem with devaluing people's religious beliefs from a therapist's point of view. Worth listening to if you're interested in building bridges between believers and non-believers.
CharlotteC
Issues: depression, anxiety, eating disorder, cutting

Post by CharlotteC »

Whoops, forgot to include the link:

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/02/you-made ... ly-gordon/

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”