Episode 52: Sexually Inappropriate Parents

Post discussions as new topics.
marathonbar

Episode 52: Sexually Inappropriate Parents

Post by marathonbar »

I just finished listening to this episode and, as a parent, it made me think about some things. Of course, I'm always wondering if I'm doing something that will scar my child. I try not to let him see me when I have emotional difficulties and I hope that I don't put pressure on him to be anything more than a kid. I suppose no one is a perfect parent, but the pressure to be everything to your child is there all the time.
I wanted to comment about the survey from "Long Time Listener" that Paul read at the end of the podcast. The survey responder mentioned that his mom would snuggle with him in bed, almost like spooning, when he was little. Obviously there's more information that's needed (how old was he? Was it more than just snuggling?) but I'd like to let him know that he might not have to be concerned about that. As a mom, I can say that snuggling with my son is one of the pure joys in my life. There's something about the love that your child brings to you that is just sweet and innocent. I hope that was his situation.
I'm ready to live a life of joy.
circe

Re: Episode 52: Sexually Inappropriate Parents

Post by circe »

What a great episode.

I couldn't help but think of the book I'm reading right now as I listened. It's called The Borderline Mother. "Steve's" mother really really fit the profile of this type of mother. Very much like my own. Issues with boundaries, fear of abandonment by others, and making their children into their adult friends.
circe

Post by circe »

@marathonbar

You're right. As a mom, I cuddle with my little boy from time to time, and it is a really lovely experience for both of us. I think the keyword in the survey respondent's reply is "made me." He said his mother "made" him lay in bed in the morning while she snuggled him. I certainly don't cuddle my son when he's all wiggly and pushing me away because he wants to sit alone or toddle around. I'll bet you don't either. It's that forced aspect that probably made it feel icky.
marathonbar

Post by marathonbar »

@Circe, good point.
I'll have to check out that book, too. Sounds interesting.
I'm ready to live a life of joy.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”