Episode 119: Raped by his Sister: Listener “Tom”

Post discussions as new topics.
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Episode 119: Raped by his Sister: Listener “Tom”

Post by gfyourself »

Raised by a Baptist preacher who frequently got run out of town and raped by his older sister starting when he was 4, “Tom” has had a lot to work through. A great episode about working through trauma especially in families that can’t communicate. Though a serious episode for sure, there is more humor than the title suggests. Not a downer.
ColemanSilk

Re: Episode 119: Raped by his Sister: Listener “Tom”

Post by ColemanSilk »

I thought this was a great episode too. The interviews with non-celebrities are always a crapshoot, since "regular" people aren't used to being interviewed...but "Tom" did a great job sharing his story and interacting with Paul.
Leebeeboo

Post by Leebeeboo »

I like the non-celebrity interviews...I feel like they're more open and honest, they aren't held back by the potential PR issues that could arise from things said in the interview. The celebrities a lot of times seem guarded. There's awkwardness sometimes with the listeners because they aren't used to being in the spotlight, but I find it endearing and real.
ColemanSilk

Post by ColemanSilk »

Leebeeboo, I generally agree with you. If anything the "real people" interviews have more credibilty, because sometimes with the celebrity interviews I feel (irrationally and unfairly, but still) "well, your struggles can't be THAT debilitating if you've managed to make a career in a creative pursuit, one of the most competitive fields out there."
Leebeeboo

Post by Leebeeboo »

I wouldn't call it irrational, Coleman. I don't feel like whatever they're going through isn't debilitating, but I just feel like they CAN'T say all that they want to say. I can't blame them, because if I were in the public eye, I wouldn't want all my inner conflict out for public consumption, I would be afraid that it would affect my future oppurtunities. No one wants to work with Lindsay Lohan for a reason.

One celebrity interview that I was a little unsatisfied by, but appreciated, was Chris Hardwick. I used to love him on Singled Out, and was happy to see him in House of 1000 Corpses in the early 2000s because he had all but disappeared from the public radar. I thought it was brave that he owned up to his depression and alcoholism during the lull in his career after Singled Out, but it seemed as if he glossed over how hard it was for him. I'm happy to see him prospering now, with the Nerdist empire, The Talking Dead, and all of his other projects. He's funny, seems like a good, genuine guy, and easy on the eyes.

This whole line of thought though makes me feel as though I am wanting more than I am owed. As a fan of someone, or a consumer of a creative pursuit such as a podcast, movie, television show, music, etc, the artist is already providing me with entertainment, and honestly owes me nothing more than that. Anything beyond the art they're already providing is gravy, and I should probably just be grateful.
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

Tom is brave! The courage it takes to get help, set boundaries, stick with them and on top of that talk about them to someone who you just know through email, then share this sort of thing to people you don't even know through the podcast medium. All that really comes to my mind is Tom you are bad ass dude, seriously bad ass. I am a bit disappointed the the shift in conversation in this thread is leaning towards celebrity and away from the content of the podcast but what ever not my fault, not my job either to police thoughts no matter how much I want it to be.

Anyway Tom, you are what I strive to be in life, someone who can take an issue and deal with it. I really am inspired thank you.
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Post by gfyourself »

Good episode Paul!
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Tom is the perfect guest! I don't know if they missed anything to discuss, but I'd love him to be on again.
katieelaine

Post by katieelaine »

This is pretty powerful and relevant (may be triggering for some): http://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthouse ... ople-who-a

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”