NEW TEACHER- Parent/Teacher conferences/relationship

FuckingSensitive
Issues: Anxiety, Sensory Processing Sensitivity
preferred pronoun: she

NEW TEACHER- Parent/Teacher conferences/relationship

Post by FuckingSensitive »

I have a parent that I have about as many concerns for as I do her daughter. I am terrified to meet her tomorrow for conferences (First conferences of all time!). But I am determined to do my best to get on her good side to give her daughter what she needs.
Her daughter has been to 6 schools during her elementary school career. The mother has been referred to as "Bipolar" by previous year teachers (i called the old school to find out why this student doesn't have an IEP. The teacher said one minute she's your best friend the next she is your enemy )

I called mom to confirm the conference appointment and she immediately went off on me, this is the first time i'm hearing of this, I've had nothing but problems with this school since the beginning of the year, I would rather just drive them to the other school at this point.

I stayed calm and addressed her concerns with logic.

My dream would be to make her mom my best friend and get an IEP/504 going for this kid!

What's my best move? Her daughter is flunking Math and Reading, due to behavioral (or I suspect, developmental) issues. She can't focus long enough to follow any directions. So I'm scared for tomorrow.

Help! How to work with someone with extreme victimizing/narcissistic/emotionally explosive behaviors?

Thank you.

Return to “Ryan Rogers LCMHC Intern”