Question about something I witnessed

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
CarlaMarie
Issues: Depression and anxiey
preferred pronoun: She

Question about something I witnessed

Post by CarlaMarie »

Let me preface this by saying this is what I want to do with my life. I have not started taking classes or anything, but have a lot of personal experience with mental health issues and I am very intuitive. That being said, I was talking with my best friend of 25 years as a best friend, not in any other capacity. She is going through a lot and has a lot of past trauma. We were having a very deep emotional conversation. She was quite distraught, almost to the point of hyperventilating. Then, she looked at me and started getting very confused, she didn't know how she got here even though she'd been at my house for a week. She didn't know why she was so upset, she kept asking me what happened, where everyone was, who had been there. She was genuinely confused and said she was missing time. All while still very distraught and more so by the confusion. My husband was able to get her calmed down some and then to sleep. I should also mention that she is struggling with substance abuse and had been awake for 36 hours on methamphetamine. The reason I want a professional opinion is she is about to start one on one therapy with a LCSW. She wants me to attend at least part of her first session with her because she has such high anxiety she refuses to attend otherwise. I'm not positive she will remember this episode and I feel that I should make the therapist aware. This is the only episode I'm aware she's ever had of this nature. Any insight or opinions are much appreciated. I just want to make sure she gets the best help possible. She's like my sister and what I saw was terrifying.

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”