Parent with severe mental illness

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
water747
preferred pronoun: She/her

Parent with severe mental illness

Post by water747 »

Hi
My mom suffers from numerous mental illnesses PTSD, depression, anxiety etc. She has started to lie frequently about very mundane things to make them seem grand. For example we passed by a McDonald's and she said to me "you are related to the McDonald's. Our last name used to be MacDonald. Someone probably just dropped the 'a' in our name."
Another example as we were driving through a historic area in the city we passed a low brick wall she said to me "those bricks have been there since the revolutionary war."
It's possible she is correct but she was just guessing. She had never seen the brick wall before. It's like a cross between magical thinking out loud and a bit of histrionic behavior. I would like to understand so that I can be empathetic.

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”