Supporting a partner in therapy

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
PenelopeBrooks

Supporting a partner in therapy

Post by PenelopeBrooks »

I would love some advice on being a supportive partner to someone going through trauma treatment. I have an extensive history of childhood sexual abuse (along with lots of other trauma) myself, but I have had years of therapy, including EMDR, which helped me tremendously. I still check in with my own therapist from time to time, but in general, I'm able to handle the occasional struggles I have with anxiety or sadness. My partner has recently started therapy to deal with her own trauma and while I am SO PROUD of her, I have difficulty knowing how to support her without my own issues getting in the way. I'm not triggered by her memories or experiences, but I AM somewhat triggered by her anxiety about it all. Again, its nothing I can't manage, but I've found myself unintentionally trying to "nudge" her into hurrying up and getting over it. I want to give her space and full reign to feel all her feelings and do this journey however she needs to, I just don't know how to keep it from affecting me.
All you need is love.

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”