Hi from Central Missouri

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
ike
Issues: Depression & Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Hi from Central Missouri

Post by ike »

Hello to everyone. I...

<insert social anxiety>

<insert general depression fog>

I'm sure you'll get to know me as I contribute to other threads.
oak

Re: Hi from Central Missouri

Post by oak »

Welcome!

I lived, briefly, in the 660. It was bad, real bad. At least for me. I was deemed weird/queer/Not Enough/outsider as quickly and permanently as stereotypically the "cool kids" exclude "losers" in junior high. That is not an exaggeration.

Exception: There were some lovely people in the 660. Some. I met some nice people in Sedalia.

It was such a deeply traumatic experience that I spontaneously got sober five months later, when I realized that whoever I was to be so hated in the 660 was someone I couldn't afford to be anymore.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
ovoce
Issues: Depression and anxiety, cutting, suicidal, food addiction, rape survivor
preferred pronoun: she

Post by ovoce »

Haha! Boy, do I relate to that :) Welcome!
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

I used to live near Sedalia, oak. I quite enjoyed Sedalia - but it wasn't my hometown, so of course I had no bias.

And to the OP: I grew up in Central MO, got pretty familiar with the mental health resources available, so feel free to message me and maybe my own experiences might be of benefit to you.
oak

Post by oak »

@fifth: Yes! At the time I was in a 12 step fellowship, and there is some strong, lovely recovery happening in Sedalia. I also did like to hike at that state forest in Knob Noster.

(My main problem with the 660 is that UCM/Warrensburg didn't bother to get to know my professional skills, inasmuch as they condescended me. Since then I've learned to code, so it'd be interesting to see they would treat me all nice now!)

Like you say, there are mental health and support groups in central Mo.

There were alot of people struggling there. I mean that in the kindest way! People struggling, striving to not drink today, to earn a little more money tomorrow, to have better relationships. I saw those people, and they were beautiful.

I also saw lots of nepotism/cronyism and tons of good-old-boys networks. I was troubled by the conflation of religion/politics/military.

I hope the OP can find, day to day, the first bunch I mentioned: the strivers, and avoid, mostly, the good old boys network.

There are good, kind, caring, generous people in the 660. Go find them, OP. Good luck and keep us posted. Hang in there.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
ike

Post by ike »

Thanks, you guys. I actually live in Knob Noster, and grew up here, with a brief fling to Kansas City to try my hand at the corporate work environment.

Are there any free mental health services around here?
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

I'm not sure, Ike - since Knob Noster has an extension from campus in town, there may be some counselors associated with the university who can work on a sliding scale. Otherwise, CMSU has a good mental health department. Sliding scale counselors base their fee on your income, and I've had counselors go as low as $10 per session for me. If they can't help you, they will be more than happy to give you lots of referrals, likely at no cost.
ike

Post by ike »

Awesome. Thank you. Every little bit helps, ya know?
oak

Post by oak »

Ike, fifthsonata offers you excellent advice.

I'm not sure I can add much. You might want to try calling 211.

I hope things work out for you. Hang in there.
ike

Post by ike »

Thank you.

Positive vibes to all ya'll

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”