This podcast is life-changing!

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
verne
Issues: Depression, anxiety, eating disorders
preferred pronoun: she

This podcast is life-changing!

Post by verne »

Hi guys! I'm so grateful to have found this podcast. I never listened to podcasts before, but I've recently taken up knitting, sooooo...podcasts are perfect, and this one - well, I don't have to tell you, it's amazing. Though it hurts my neck to be nodding so much, and my neighbours are wondering who I'm yelling "ME, TOO!!" at.

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I've experienced depression all my life, but am only now, at 41 years old, peeling the proverbial onion to look at aaaaaalll the other stuff going on, and the roots of it. I've had compulsive/binge eating disorder flareups, and have always had Night Eating Syndrome, something I struggle with still. I was an alcoholic for a long time, but finally quit drinking altogether this past August. I'm discovering that depression without the fuzzy mask of alcohol is a brutal place.

I, like some, have no "big thing" to point to in my past, though my upbringing was still emotionally neglectful. My mother suffered from severe mental issues, most never fully diagnosed, but now that I'm reading the literature, she was most definitely in the BPD/Histrionic/Narcissist camp. My father is the picture of Avoidant Personality Disorder. But it all boils down to the same thing: no big trauma, but I'm still left here feeling guilty and ashamed to be as depressed as I am.

I'm fairly certain that I, too, have BPD, and perhaps some covert narcissist traits. Luckily, I'm seeing someone on the 25th who should be able to help me nail down an actual diagnosis and see what the next steps are.

Thanks so much for existing!! This podcast, the forum, and the people posting on it, are all incredible. Hugely grateful.
"perfection is the emeny of good" :D
Depression|Anxiety|ED(NOS)
Self-employed in the Arts (read: "Broke")
Can't afford psych diagnosis/meds
So I donate to MIHH sometimes
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: This podcast is life-changing!

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Welcome to the forum, verne! Congratulations on quitting drinking! All the best to you, cheers. :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”